September is Fall Prevention Month, and in honor of this noble cause, here are some timely tips to keep you safe:
- Leave Slip ‘N Slides for the amusement parks. While area rugs may be pretty, they also have a nasty way of tripping you up and causing you to fall. We suggest kicking area rugs to the curb (or your nearest donation center).
- Say goodbye to step stools. While a step stool may have served you well in the past, they are hardly worth it when you consider the damage you can do by falling off one. It’s safe to say that items you need, use, and love should be stored within easy reach.
- Embrace lighting up your house at night. In our world, nightlights are the bomb! Grab some from your local dollar, grocery or hardware store and populate the bathroom, hallway, and kitchen. When nature calls, or you are hungry for a midnight snack, a nightlight can light your way for a safer trip.
- Tackle pesky household repairs. Whether it’s a loose tile, a broken step, a burnt-out lightbulb or a wobbly handrail… get it fixed ASAP! Avoid the should’ve, could’ve, would’ve conversations. These pesky problems can lead to big falls. If you’re not up to the task, hire it out and sleep better tonight.
- Address your laundry situation. Think twice before tackling the stairs with a fully loaded laundry basket if your washer and dryer are in the basement. One option is to relocate the machines to the 1st or 2nd floor. Another option is to send the laundry out to a local wash and fold service. Or perhaps you can have someone stop in and assist you in the process. Whatever option you choose, avoiding a fall down the basement stairs is worth it.